Scholarship description :
This program enables students from five ASEAN countries (Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, and Vietnam) wishing to enroll in a master’s course (major in one of the sciences) at the University of Tokyo, to secure scholarships before their arrival in Japan. It aims to cultivate individuals capable of leading Asia in the twenty-first century and to contribute to the development of Asia and the world as well as to mutual understanding between these countries and Japan.
Period of Scholarships :
Scholarships will be provided for max. 3 years, 1 year studying as a Research Student and max. 2 years studying in a master’s course. The scholarship will be suspended if the scholarship recipient fails to pass the entrance exam for a master’s course within a year after arriving to Japan if the recipient enters as a Research Student. If the recipient enters as a master’s course student, scholarships will be provided for max. 2 years.
Applicants who wish to enroll in a master’s course and major in one of the sciences (except medicine and veterinary medicine) at the University of Tokyo and who fulfill the following requirements and qualifications.
- Applicants must be citizens of Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, or Vietnam.
- Applicants must have graduated or be expected to graduate with an excellent academic record – GPA at least 3.20 (with 16 years of education completed or expected to be completed) and must receive the recommendation of their university president or academic advisor or be otherwise qualified to enroll inthe University of Tokyo.
- Applicants must be under the age of 35 on April 1, 2011.
- In principle, the applicant must be able to obtain approval of acceptance as a Postgraduate International Research Student (hereinafter “Research Student”), from the University of Tokyo and be registered as a Research Student for April 2011 or October 2011. However, the applicant may enroll directly as a master’s course student of some graduate schools inthe University of Tokyo.. In that case, the applicant must be able to obtain approval of enrollment from the University of Tokyo and be registered as a master’s course student for Apr 2011 or Oct 2011.
- Applicants must have adequate Japanese language proficiency to study as a master’s course student of the University of Tokyo (Japanese Language Proficiency Test Level 1 or equivalent). Applicants must be able to pass at least Level 3 of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (hereinafter “JLPT”) in a test administered no later than December 2010 (candidates wishing to enter as a master’s course student) or December 2011 (candidates wishing to enter as a Research Student). However, applicants who wish to enroll in “Information, Technology, and Society in Asia course (hereinafter “ITASIA”)” of Graduate School of Interdisciplinary Information Studies does not require above Japanese language proficiency.
- Applicants must apply from the above 5 countries and be able to attend selection procedures when necessary.
- Applicants must be in good physical and mental health and have a strong motivation for learning.
- Applicants must not be receiving other scholarships.
University of Tokyo
How to apply this scholarship :
- Application Documents
- Application form(Form 1) and study program (assigned form)
- Transcript of scholastic record issued by the university or graduate school attended (no photocopies, written in Japanese or English)
- A letter of recommendation from university president or academic advisor (assigned form. Additional recommendation letter would be accepted)
- Additional documents (Optional)
- A copy of documents proving Japanese Proficiency of the applicant, such as JPLT result, certificate of attendance to Japanese higher education facilities and Japanese Training institutions may be considered.
- The documents submitted shall not be returned under any circumstances.
Selection Process :
1st Screening and 2nd Screening
All the screening will be based on the received documents, such as research activities and study plans, university transcript and theletter of recommendation.
Detailed description of the documents is required.
For 2nd Screening, additional submission of necessary documents (TOEFL etc. See appendix 2) for applying to preferred graduate schools and graduation or degree certificate may be requested.
Note: An interview will be held for 2nd selection (in English or in Japanese)
Suspension or Termination of Scholarship :
The scholarship will be suspended or terminated immediately, and claim the partial or full refund of the scholarship amount if any one of the following conditions applies to the scholarship recipient:
- False information found in the application form.
- Receives any other scholarship.
- Fails to pass the entrance examination to a University of Tokyo master’s course within one year after arriving to Japan (recipient who enters as a Research Student).
- Fails to pass at least JLPT level 3 in a test administered no later than December 2010 (recipient wishing to enter as a master’s course student).
- Fails to pass at least JLPT level 3 in a test administered no later than December 2011 (recipient wishing to enter as a Research Student).
- Fails to arrive in Japan by the appointed date.
- Shows poor academic performance due to absence, lack of desire to study or being unable to keep up research for some reason.
- Has difficulty continuing to study due to illness or other health problems.
- Violates the rules and regulations of the University of Tokyo or the Ajinomoto Scholarship Foundation.
Screening and Notification
Screening: April – May
2nd Screening: May – July
Notification of the results: August
The nominated applicants who had passed the 2nd screening must compile all the necessary documents for applying to University of Tokyo, assigned by eachgraduate school (refer appendix 2 “Documents for 2nd Screening and Required documents for applying as a Postgraduate International Research Student to the University of Tokyo”. The accomplished documents are reviewed by faculty council. For the applicants who are requested to enroll in April, the letter of acceptance will be issued in Jan, 2011. They should take all the adequate process, such as visa, for entering to Japan and will enroll in April.
In addition, the nominated applicants requested to enroll in October should pay attention to the applying period and the date of issuance of the letter of acceptance, because they differ. Please contact with thegraduate school you wish enroll for details.
Scholarship deadline :
March 31, 2010